[asterisk-dev] Getting started with Asterisk development

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Oct 10 05:49:49 MST 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 23:00, Austin Seipp wrote:
> Greetings! For a while now, I've had a very large interest in telephony
> systems in general, and seeing Asterisk I was immediately drawn to it. I
> got myself through Asterisk: The Future of Telephony (what a quest, I
> know), and I was wondering if anybody could give any tips to starting
> Asterisk hacking and development? Such as writing modules and functions to
> expand the system, or actually modifying Asterisk at the base level and
> getting an full architects' view of the system? Or am I just stuck to my
> trusty Xemacs, Cscope and a case of Mountain Dew and the source code to
> Asterisk itself?
>
> I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest concentrating on the source and starting mainly on only apps and
funcs, since these are the simpler modules.  From there, you can start looking
at res, cdr, codecs, and formats, and finally, the most advanced are channels
and pbx modules.

In my experience, for the API, the include files are pretty well documented
as-is.  I only rarely have to look at the source for clarification.

--
Tilghman