[asterisk-dev] A legal question

Andrew Kirch AKirch at AllThingsIT.com
Fri Oct 6 06:23:02 MST 2006

IANAL Either (though were I I'd make more money, but I have some
experience in and around the law (getting sued for 3.5 mil does that to
one)...

Licenses fall under contract law, copyright gives one the ability to
write and enforce the license.  Since Digium holds the copyright they
have the ability to write enforce and break the license.  They are in no
way bound by the terms of the GPL when they distribute the software for
which they own the copyright.  What this means (as far as I can tell it)
is that were someone else to redistribute Asterisk, they would either
have to remove the non-GPL (closed source) portions, or they would have
problems with the GPL and linking of tainted code.

Andrew