[asterisk-dev] A legal question

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Oct 6 03:42:27 MST 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 12:17:41PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> [0] Reading a book, for instance, is not protected by the copyrights
> law. Using a software it. Strange, isn't it?

IANAL either, but I don't think copyright law protects how you can use a
piece of software, only how you can distribute it - i.e. copy it or derive
another work from it.

Other terms and conditions imposed by the vendor, such as forbidding reverse
engineering, tend to be enforced using contract law (the "shrink wrap"
agreement you implicitly sign when you break the seal). I don't know what
actual force these have in law.

Regards,

Brian.