[asterisk-dev] autoconf issues for FreeBSD

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Thu Oct 5 06:53:51 MST 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 03:34:02PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 04:09:29AM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > The problem is that platform-specific _defaults_ should be provided
> > by the tool (which should aware of platform issues) not by the
> > asterisk or perl or gzip or ghostscript programmer (who cannot know
> > what's the default location of stuff on FreeBSD, Knoppix, Ubuntu,
> > RedHat, Fedora, DragonFly, minix, you-name-it).
>
> Have you bothered providing those defaults? Has FreeBSD bothred
> providing those defaults?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_mono/autoconf.html#SEC138
>
> Generally: /usr/share/config.site , /usr/local/share/config.site ,
> /etc/config.site , /usr/local/etc/config.site or something similar.
>
> Do we know how to take sane defaults from there?

apparently not - at least i cannot see a config.site as part
of the installed autoconf package on any of my FreeBSD boxes
(there isn't one on a Fedora installation either;
Maybe it is not a popular feature. I wonder how is the
situation for other platform).
But thanks for the pointer, at least that's a good
starting point (or something to document).

> BTW: I believe ./configure --silent is what you're after.

that's a bit too silent, it doesn't report anything :(

	cheers
	luigi