[asterisk-dev] autoconf issues for FreeBSD

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Thu Oct 5 01:02:00 MST 2006

On 10/05/06 06:45 Russell Bryant said the following:
> ----- Luigi Rizzo <rizzo at icir.org> wrote:
>
>>I am pretty sure that the code below (which was my patch at the time)
>>is NOT a proper fix - i would expect autoconf to deal with platform
>>issues without having us deal with them on each and every port.
>

> It really does seem odd that /usr/local/ would be the default prefix
> where things are installed on FreeBSD, yet it is not one of the default
> paths that the compiler and linker on the same system would look.  If
> that were the case, none of this would be a problem.

FreeBSD has a policy of separating what's part of the base system which
sits in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib etc and what comes in from ports
which goes into /usr/local/{bin,sbin,lib,etc}. while this may seem
confusing to non-FreeBSD users, it has become second nature to FreeBSD users.

as Asterisk is included in the FreeBSD ports system, having autoconf do
this would greatly ease porting work.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)   http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/