[asterisk-dev] Re: SIP to IAX (Jeremy McNamara)

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Thu Oct 5 00:47:22 MST 2006

Thong Lam Hai wrote:
> In that case, I wonder how an SIP phone which is use SIP protocol to set up
> a call session can communicate with a SIP phone which is use H.323 if there
> is no module to convert two types of message
> Actually, we can use extension.conf to redirect from SIP channel to H.323
> channel but we really need an converted module or converted function. Is
> that right?

Asterisk translates the signaling methods for you via the Dialplan.

Setup your sip.conf to accept calls from your SIP phone(s), which will
include a specific context where you wants those calls to go into the
dialplan (extensions.conf).

That dialplan then can call any other channel type (Zap, IAX, H.323,
SCCP, MGCP) by using the Dial application for the specific extension
you wish to dial.

I suggest you purchase the Asterisk book. You seem to be missing quite a
few major core concepts of how Asterisk functions.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk/

Jeremy McNamara