[asterisk-dev] What's the best source for architectural understanding?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 4 21:03:23 MST 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:49:34PM -0500, Moises Silva wrote:
> >So, one centralized dispatcher looks for both types of off-hooks on all
> >channels?

> No, for each telephony technology must exists a channel driver that
> will "listen" or "expect" for incoming calls.

Ah.

>                                                  Once detects an incoming
> call, will try to authenticate the call against its devices configured
> in its configuration file (sip.conf, iax.conf, zapata.conf,
> unicall.conf etc), and will start a new thread in the PBX (extensions
> matching) for handling that new call. So, you have at least 1 listener
> thread for each telephony technology. And 1 thread for each call
> executing extensions in the dial plan.

Aha.

So there is actually an independent thread running for each active
call, that you could inspect and log and manhandle.  Good.  Glad to
hear that.  Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_