[asterisk-dev] What's the best source for architectural understanding?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 4 15:12:38 MST 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:32:44PM -0500, Moises Silva wrote:
> >There seems to be quite a bit of Magic on issues like call control
> >hidden inside the 'Applications' one can call from a dial plan

> No magic here, check this out:
>
> http://www.lobstertech.com/doc/ast-12-func/

I did.  That's back down at 50 feet -- if not below ground -- telling
how to *breat* functions.

> >(and indeed, the way by which calls *get to* a dialplan in the first
> >place; is there a good overview of these topics which, for some
> >reason, I've been too stupid to locate? :-)

> Basic SIP setup. The general concept apply to any technology (IAX2, Zap
> etc).
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2006-September/023116.html

And that's at 100 feet.

We're still nap of earth there, and I'm too new to read between the
lines yet.

What I'm looking for is

 "A monitor process is active within the Asterisk core for each defined
 channel; when a channel receives a connection (from an incoming call
 or from an internal extension being picked up to place a call), the
 monitor process begins executing the dialplan for the appropriate
 context, which is X for "trunk connections" (things which present a
 ringing signal or equivalent) and Y for "station connections" (things
 which present an off-hook condition).

 "When a call is extended through the switch to a destination port, the
 call monitor of the originating port controls the call; the destination
 port's call monitor sleeps."

... or whatever the actual facts are.

What I'm saying is, I can't visualise the core architecture of call
control in an Asterisk switch... which as someone who's planning to
start playing pretty hirsute games with one, makes me nervous.

Is *that* layer of documentation around anywhere?

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_