[asterisk-dev] REGISTER uses 401 not 407?

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Oct 2 23:40:27 MST 2006

3 okt 2006 kl. 05.18 skrev Ed Greenberg:

> In chan-sip.c (from 1.2.12.1) it is written:
>
> 06223       /* On a REGISTER, we have to use 401 and its family of
> headers instead of 407 and its family
> 06224          of headers -- GO SIP!  Whoo hoo!  Two things that do
> the same thing but are used in
> 06225          different circumstances! What a surprise. */
>
> Why is this so?

This comment in the source is totally wrong. I've been trying to
change this logic a few times, but Mark has been
worried we might break things by fixing it.

The truth is that by issuing a proxy auth request, we break things
even more... Asterisk is always an
endpoint and never a proxy and should never, ever, issue a proxy
authorization request.

It is easy to change source code, but it takes time to change
attitude and educate people :-)

Hopefully, I can soon start with the new SIP channel since we've
created a new trunk where we
have more freedom. That SIP channel won't worry as much with
backwards compatibility
but focus more on RFC compliance. The current code is way too much
spagetti with fixes
on top of fixes and needs to be cleaned out before christmas :-)

If everything works out for the best, I can start that project during
this month.

/O

---
* Olle E. Johansson - oej at edvina.net
* Asterisk Training http://edvina.net/training/
* Next class: The Asterisk Masterclass (formerly "bootcamp"),
Stockholm, Sweden Nov 2006