[asterisk-dev] Call numbers in IAX2 media frames

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Nov 28 16:02:52 MST 2006

Tim Panton wrote:
> I'm just wondering if it is necessary to change the protocol to get same
> efficiency. Looking at our
> stuff, I can't say that swapping them would make much of a difference to
> the performance.
>
> I'm sure that you could get close in asterisk by using a simple map of
> source->dest call nos per peer.
> Ok, that's 64k per active peer, but it would be be _quick_ and no locks
> needed until you have your channel
> and want to manipulate it. That's an extreme solution, but not absurd.

You're probably right.  I'm starting to feel that the best thing to do at this
point is to just make the way Asterisk does the matching not be completely
insane.  The performance benefit is probably not worth trying to deal with
making such a significant change in the protocol, especially when there are
other ways to significantly improve the way it works in Asterisk without doing
it.  They may be harder to implement, but it's probably worth it.  There are way
too many existing Asterisk installations and now, other IAX2 implementations, to
fight that battle.

> I've just spent a week fighting to get Mark's last IAX improvement
> working/tested in our stack, so
> I'm a bit sensitive ;-)

Well, I just realized that the code I had been working on was wrong.  So, I
figured maybe I could convince the rest of the world to conform to my way of
doing it.  Oh well, I guess I'll just fix it now.

I'm just kidding, I really was confused and was trying to understand why it is
the way it is.  I guess it comes down to that it *could* have been that media
frames carry the destination call number, but changing it at this point isn't
worth it.  I'll just keep it in mind in case we ever have enough reason to make
an IAX3.  :)

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer