[asterisk-dev] One way audio problems

Asbjørn Zweidorff Kjær azk at nordit.dk
Fri Nov 17 02:43:28 MST 2006

Hello all,

Ive been having a problem i cant seem to figure out, and i can see from
various Google and list searches that i havent been the only one having
this, but havent been able to find a solution yet.

Ive got 3 * boxes, one as the primary "hub" on which the two others
registers. Box A (HUB) and Box B are located in the same LAN, and Box C
is in a remote location (No NAT). When calls gets sent from Box A (hub)
to Box C (remote) i sometimes get a problem with the one-way audio
(incoming caller can hear my voice, but i cant hear them).

       (A)--LAN--(B)

       WAN

       (C)

When this happens the console spews out tons of "Received mini frame
before first full frame" at a rate of 50 messages a second. Ive tried
disabling / enabling jitterbuffer and trunking in all possible
combinations. As well as spewing the mini frame message i also get the
following, when running with iax debug, a message which also repeast 50
times a second as well:

 Tx-Frame Retry[000] -- OSeqno: 001 ISeqno: 001 Type: IAX     Subclass: VNAK
   Timestamp: 01434ms  SCall: 00009  DCall: 00003 [10.2.0.71:4569]
Rx-Frame Retry[ No] -- OSeqno: 003 ISeqno: 005 Type: IAX     Subclass:
TXREADY
   Timestamp: 02096ms  SCall: 00003  DCall: 00007 [10.2.0.71:4569]
   CALL NUMBER     : 3

Ive tried several versions of asterisk and zaptel, without any luck, i
still get one-way audio. As stated above the one-way audio problem only
occurs from Box A to Box C, meaning the SIP client on Box C cannot hear
audio from Box A client. The problem occurs both on incoming and
outgoing calls, at random intervals. Sometimes on every other call,
sometimes hours or even days can pass before we get the problem again.

As stated Ive tried a lot of the things suggested in the posts and
articles Ive been able to find, but so far nothing has helped my get rid
of the problem. Im running the following versions of software on the boxes:

Box A:
   Asterisk: Asterisk 1.2.8
   Zaptel: Zaptel 1.2.6 (used for ztdummy timing on IAX trunks)

Box B:
   Asterisk: Asterisk 1.2.8
   Zaptel: Zaptel 1.2.6

Box C:
   Asterisk: Asterisk 1.2.13
   Zaptel: 1.2.11

Hope some of you out there are able to help me out a bit, its getting a
bit annoying not being able to hear people calling me.

Regards
  Asbjørn Kjær