[asterisk-dev] RFC: internal CLI changes

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Nov 15 13:10:57 MST 2006

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> I am afraid the e = argv[-1] trick is probably something that we need
> to keep for a while to help old-style handlers, but that is a relatively
> straightforward, and hopefully sufficiently documented to avoid confusion.

Why do we need this for old style handlers? They never needed access to
their own 'struct ast_cli_entry *' before, and if their code is updated
to use it, then they can be converted to the new prototype as well.

Also, I don't see the value in using typedef to make types for
'old_cli_fn' and 'new_cli_fn'... those typedefs are only useful in
places where you want pointers to them, you can't actually use them in
declaring the handler functions (or even their prototypes, as far as I
know). Unless you are planning on having a reasonable amount of code in
cli.c that is going to be using copies of handler function pointers, the
typedefs won't add any value.