[asterisk-dev] Release schedule ?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Nov 14 17:01:11 MST 2006

John Lange wrote:
> Or does that kind of quick release cycle just make people angry because
> they have to upgrade too often or risk falling woefully behind?

This is another issue that was brought to my attention when I discussed
the situation with a few people at Astricon a couple of weeks ago.

Many people are 3-6 months behind on 1.2 updates (in spite of security
fixes, or they backport only those fixes), and there are still a lot of
people running 1.0.x. The release of 1.4 is not going to cause people to
immediately upgrade, and in fact as the installed base grows, the
percentage of installations running 'old' (pick your definition)
releases is going to increase.

Making 'major' releases every six months will only serve to put more
pressure on resellers, integrators, etc. who have to figure out how to
update the systems they maintain... more food for thought, anyway :-)