[asterisk-dev] Re: Release schedule ?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Nov 14 15:51:17 MST 2006

Tony Mountifield wrote:

> * Decide when trunk contains the features desired for 1.4
> * Don't create a 1.4 branch yet, but put a feature freeze on trunk.
> * Have ALL available developers work on fixing the remaining bugs in trunk,
>   instead of spending time on new features. This should greatly reduce the
>   length of the feature freeze. Beta releases could be made during this
>   time, but the 1.4 beta period is not a time to be working on new post-1.4
>   features instead.
> * Create 1.4 as a snapshot of trunk and release it *at that time*.
> * Only then have developers resume working on new features in trunk.

This is basically what we did with 1.2, and it failed miserably.
Developers were not able to work on new functionality for an extended
period of time, and we can't force volunteer developers to only work on
bugs, to do it quickly, etc.

Now that we have a larger paid development team we might be able to make
that work better, but it's still quite a gamble.