[asterisk-dev] Voicemail argument list limit

Donald Stahl don at calis.blacksun.org
Mon Nov 13 19:42:17 MST 2006

I originally posted this to -users but I suspect I need -dev advice on
this.

I'm trying to implement a voicemail distribution list using asterisk and I've
hit a bump. I've got an agi script that parses voicemail.conf and generates a
list of voicemail boxes to use as an argument to the voicemail() function.

The problem is that the argument exceeds 256 characters (100 mailboxes * 5
characters per mailbox [& + 4 digit mailbox] = 500+ characters) and asterisk
seems to trunk there resulting in only the first 50 people getting the
voicemail.

I've searched for a solution on the lists and through google to no avail.

Can this be fixed with a simple buffer size change in a couple of places or am
I going to run into dependencies everywhere? Briefly looking through the
voicemail code shows char[256]'s in a few of places that could be causing
the problem but I haven't had the time to go through the code in any
depth. Would the changes be limited to voicemail.c or would I need to
involve other files?

This is asterisk 1.2.12.1 although I am going to be upgrading to the latest
version shortly.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Don