[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.4b3 crashing consistantly - How do I provide helpful info?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Nov 8 11:21:46 MST 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, John Lange wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 22:33 -0500, Greg Boehnlein wrote:
> > Two things you need to make sure you enable when you compile asterisk:
> >
> > DEBUG_THREADS
> > DONT_OPTIMIZE
> >
> > These can be toggled under the "Compiler Flags" options when you do a
> > "make menuselect". Make sure that you have them turned on (I.E. an
> > Asterisk next to them).
> >
> > Then, follow the guidelines for obtaining a backtrace with GDB. These can
> > be found in the file "asterisk/doc/backtrace.txt".
> >
> > I would suggest that you issue the following, to make your life easy;
> >
> > script backtrace.txt <- This will start a typescript session, which
> > 			captures the Input / Output from the session into
> > 			a file called "backtrace.txt"
> >
> > Once you get into gdb, then issue:
> > "set pagination off" to turn of paging.
> >
> > Then, get your backtrace, exit out of GDB and come find someone on
> > #asterisk-dev on irc.freenode.org to take a look at your backtrace.
> >

> Thank you. I hope you don't mind but I have updated the wiki with those
> tips for others.

Excellent. If you can't find anyone online, you may also post the
backtrace into "pastebin.ca" and then post the link here so we can review
it.

I'd suggest sending the backtrace to the list, but I'm not sure if that is
the correct ettiquette, and I'll let others discuss wether that is
appropriate or not. On one hand, having the backtrace in the message
allows for historical archivale in the -dev list archives (in case
pastebin.ca expires links for example), but I'm not sure about the
bandwidth issues in sending a backtrace to potentially thousands of
subscribers.

                             KP-216-121-ST