[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

Alexei Volkov kot at kotzone.ru
Wed Nov 8 06:25:40 MST 2006

Hi all!

Is it possible (in theory) to make asterisk server multiple sip endponts
configured with same sip credentials.

For example if i have in sip.conf

[0001]
canreinvite=yes
type=friend
secret=secret
username=USER
callerid="USER" <0001>
host=dynamic

Is it possible to have two or more hardware or software sip phones
configured with this entry?

I tested that asterisk allow to register more then one endpoint with
same credentials and allow outgoinc calls from them, but will route
incoming call to last registered one.
Why not to keep information about all such sip endpoints and route
incoming calls to all devices with same sip credentials.

This situation is helpfull when i have more then one sip phones (for
example softphone on pc SIP/0001, hardware desktop sip phone SIP/0002,
and mobile wifi sip phone SIP/0003) and nowtime i need to configure them
with different sip numbers (and configuration entry in sip.conf) and
have a special dialplan in case i want to route any call to me on all
this devices.

If asterisk can support multiple sip enpoints with same credentials  i
have simplify routint to them with simple Dial(SIP/0001) instead of
Dial(SIP/0001&SIP/0002&SIP/0003)  command and save dialplan numbers (one
instead of three in my case).

Thanks for any comments.

 WBR Alexei Volkov.