[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.4b3 crashing consistantly - How do I provide helpful info?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Nov 7 20:33:20 MST 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, John Lange wrote:

> After running Asterisk 1.4b3 (and the previous beta) for a few weeks now
> I am convinced that 1.4 crashes frequently (typically at once per day or
> so with moderate call volume).
>
> I'd like to provide the appropriate information for the bug tracker so
> 1.4 can be stabilized but I'm not sure of the appropriate procedure.
>
> http://www.digium.com/bugguidelines.html mentions valgrind and gdb with
> a note to "see details below" but there are no details below.
>
> Voip-info mentions make valgrind but there is no target for that in 1.4.
>
> I have 15 core.XXXX files in my /tmp directory are those of any use to
> anyone and where should I go from here to help out?

Two things you need to make sure you enable when you compile asterisk:

DEBUG_THREADS
DONT_OPTIMIZE

These can be toggled under the "Compiler Flags" options when you do a
"make menuselect". Make sure that you have them turned on (I.E. an
Asterisk next to them).

Then, follow the guidelines for obtaining a backtrace with GDB. These can
be found in the file "asterisk/doc/backtrace.txt".

I would suggest that you issue the following, to make your life easy;

script backtrace.txt <- This will start a typescript session, which
			captures the Input / Output from the session into
			a file called "backtrace.txt"

Once you get into gdb, then issue:
"set pagination off" to turn of paging.

Then, get your backtrace, exit out of GDB and come find someone on
#asterisk-dev on irc.freenode.org to take a look at your backtrace.

                             KP-216-121-ST