[asterisk-dev] Re: Help with 240 samples on frames read fromchan_iax

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Sun Nov 5 01:08:55 MST 2006

Moises wrote:
> Tony, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I remembered an issue with ILBC,
> but the phone on the other side is using ULAW as well. I tried to
> avoid any transcoding to see if that helped, but so far, no look. Im
> still looking the code to find a solution.

> Any other ideas out there?
You don't mention which version of Asterisk, and it might not matter.
Almost any phone can be configured to use a RTP packetization other
than 20ms.  I believe the the Linksys 94X phones even default to 30ms.

When working on the RTP packetization feature for 1.4, I found that
IAX truly has no idea about the concept and will pass whatever is
handed to it.

I'd guess that the phone connected to the second server is configured
to use 30ms for ULAW.

Dan

<c4d05cbe0611041120q602b5ec2k6002589394cd30f6 at mail.gmail.com>,
> Moises Silva <moises.silva at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone. I know app_conference is not formal part from Asterisk,
> > but I think you may help me a bit to understand what is happening
> > here.
> >
> >   app_conference is working just fine, except when receives frames
> > with 240 samples, it seems is somehow hardcoded to expect frames of
> > 160 samples, so when receives 240, a buffer overflow ocurrs on the
mix
> > buffer and crashes Asterisk. Frames with 240 samples, so far, are
just
> > generated by my IAX2 connection with other server, so, if I enter a
> > conference with a SIP channel using ULAW, ZAP channel using SLIN,
and
> > IAX2 channel (kiax softphone) with ULAW, everything works fine, but
at
> > the moment the other IAX2 server enters the conference (ULAW also),
> > everything crashes.
> >
> >   I can stop asterisk from crashing modifing the app_conference code
> > to NOT mix 240 samples frames, and works, but obviously the voice
from
> > the IAX2 server is not received by the other parties.
> >
> > Can somebody just give me a hint about where to look?
> >
> > Why just that IAX2 server generates frames with 240 samples?
>
> One possible idea - is the phone on the other side of that server
> negotiating the iLBC codec with 30ms packet size?
>
> Cheers
> Tony
> --
> Tony Mountifield
> Work: tony at softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
> Play: tony at mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org

"Su nombre es GNU/Linux, no solamente Linux, mas info en
http://www.gnu.org"