[asterisk-dev] app_queue: Out of order call delivery when agents are member of multiple queues

Ardjan Zwartjes A.Zwartjes at telecats.nl
Thu Nov 2 04:10:37 MST 2006

Dear Asterisk developers,

My company, using Asterisk 1.2.7, recently ran into a problem with the
Queue application. The problem occurs in the following situation:

- We have a configuration with multiple queues.
- An Agent is member of all the queues.
- There are calls waiting on all the queues.

In this case the Agent will be called to handle one of the calls from
one of the queues, only which call is kind of random. This means that if
the head of queue 1 has been waiting for 2 minutes and the head of queue
2 has been waiting for an hour it is still possible that the agent will
get a call from queue 1.
This isn't really out of order delivery since the calls are in different
queues but still it would be nicer if the call from queue 2 was handled
before the call in queue 1. I have read through the mailing archives and
looked in the issue tracker but I wasn't able to find anyone who has
addressed this problem before. I've also been reading the code of
app_queue.c (of both version 1.2.7 and 1.4.0-beta3) to see if this
problem can easily be addressed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
In the current design the calling of an agent seems to be initiated by
the waiting queue entry itself, while I think one would need some kind
of central scheduler to get the desired behaviour. So therefore I'm
wondering, does anybody know of an existing solution for this problem?
That would save me the ordeal of having to design a custom queue
application :) Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,
Ardjan Zwartjes
Telecats