[asterisk-dev] Re: why 'o' (preserve original callerid) is not default in app_dial.c ?

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 23:16:44 MST 2006

On 01/11/06, John Lange <j.lange at epic.ca> wrote:
> I think Asterisk could stand to have a (much?) expanded set of internal
> variables accessible in the dialplan.
>
> Just one simple example would be the username of the calling party (when
> available). Doing dialplan logic based on callerid is sometimes very
> problematic.

I agree with both your points.

Nevertheless, it is easy to get channel variables set on the channel
for things like the username.

For instance, the "setvar" option in a SIP peer/user/friend entry
allows you to pass on the peer that the call came from.  (And/or,
"accountcode").

I have a little macro I use to wrap around SetUserField, so I always
stash all this extra data into the CDR record too.

Steve