[asterisk-dev] In call Codec parameterization in 1.6 ?

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Wed Nov 1 03:10:24 MST 2006

I have a problem I'd like to see solved in 1.6, so now seems a good
time to bring it up.

Basically I want to be able to send codec configuration messages
during a call.

The scenario is this:
	Softphone user calls in to a call center using a laptop with builtin
mike and speakers.
	Call center agent hears echo
	Agent clicks a button sending message to Users softphone
	Softphone gets message and enables echo can.
	Call proceeds.

I want to carry the message in-band to indicate to the transmitter
the dynamic preferences
of the receiver.

I can imagine this sort of thing would also apply
to video and shifting from wide to narrowband versions of a codec (eg
AMR)
based on the _recipient's_ perception.

I'm most interested in IAX, but a generic solution would be ideal.

At the moment I'm looking at using TEXT messages, but that doesn't
feel quite right.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com