[asterisk-dev] Re: How to busy out PRI channels?

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Nov 1 03:11:27 MST 2006

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> In article <4547C207.6000209 at fnords.org>,
> Eric \"ManxPower\" Wieling <eric at fnords.org> wrote:
>
>> Alistair Cunningham wrote:
>>
>>> When I was an engineer working mostly with IBM Websphere Voice Response,
>>> and we wanted to take a machine down, we would quiesce the trunk(s) as
>>> above, then wait until only 1 or 2 calls were left, then cut off these
>>> remaining calls. We felt this was the best compromise between cutting
>>> off as few callers as possible, and minimising the time the system was
>>> unavailable to new callers.
>>>
>>> A facility to do this in Asterisk would be most welcome.
>>>
>> "stop gracefully" does something similar.
>>

> But does it stop new calls coming in while it's waiting for the existing
> calls to finish? I suspect not.
>
> Cheers
> Tony

I think it stop new calls from coming in but does not do so in a way
that would allow calls to rollover to another trunk group.  I have not
tried it but I am pretty sure the caller hears "congestion".  Stop when
convenient will allow new calls to come in and will stop when the system
is "idle".

I think it would be a great addition to "stop gracefully" or even a new
"stop" command.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro