[asterisk-dev] Proposal to deprecate 'roundrobin' strategy in app_queue

Tue May 30 21:31:32 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 12:09 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> All,
>
> I have here a request from our support department to officially
> deprecate the 'roundrobin' queue strategy in app_queue as of the 1.4
> release, and then remove it after that. The point is that 'rrmemory' is
> really what most people think of when they want a 'round robin' call
> delivery system, and the support department gets a fair number of calls
> from people trying to do that and using the wrong mode.
>
> On top of that, nobody really can demonstrate any _advantage_ of the
> 'roundrobin' strategy over the 'rrmemory' strategy, so it seems that it
> would be better to just begin the process of eliminating it in favor of
> only supporting 'rrmemory' for this type of call delivery.
>
> Personally I agree with this proposal, but I want some input from the
> community before doing it. Comments?

Well, I would personally think there is a reasonable sized use case for
roundrobin as-is in smaller installations. ie, single sales person,
single accounts person, single manager. You want a sales queue with
plain roundrobin, so the sales guy always gets first preference, but you
also want your sales queries handled quickly, so it then rolls over to
the accounts person, and then to the manager.

Of course, the same configuration can be achieved with using the agent
priority/weight, so perhaps it is not relevant.

Perhaps the best solution is to change roundrobin to rrnomemory and
leave rrmemory as-is ??

This will stop people from blindly picking "roundrobin" because the
config option sounds right, and they will spend the extra 3 seconds to
read the description in the sample config file...

Basically, I don't see the advantage in removing a feature, that
someone, somewhere, might be using...

Regards,
Adam