[asterisk-dev] Centos 4.3 Issues

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Mon May 22 10:18:51 MST 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Gary Reuter wrote:

> Hi Greg,
> Don't get your hopes up:  I don't have a solution!  ;-)  I suffer from
> similar problems!
> You are talking about Digium's g729 codec, right?  Which build (i686,
> prescott, etc?) are you using?  Are you running single-CPU kernel or
> SMP?

We were using the i686 optimized codec. Then, Kevin built a special binary
that was NOT optimized at all, and provided more debugging information.

We see the problem on Single CPU boxes (w/ hyperthreading) and Dual-Core
boxes.

> In my case, I'm using 1.2.5 stable, and when I try to use the g729
> codec (PRI w/ g711 one side, Polycom w/ g729 SIP-side), the audio
> becomes 'worbly' (for lack of a better word) after a few seconds, and
> the SIP channel has disappeared from the CLI 'show channels' output.
> The description of all the things you've tried is going to save me
> alot of time trying the same things.
> libc could very well be the problem, just as much as using a different
> compiler on your side than DIgium uses when building the g729
> binaries.

Well, they built the codec on the actual box w/ the problem, so it WAS
using the same libc and compiler that Asterisk was built under.

                             KP-216-121-ST