[asterisk-dev] $1000USD for fix of Asterisk g726-32 codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat May 20 07:43:37 MST 2006

Daniel Silaro wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am happy to offer $1000USD for the fix of the g726-32 in Asterisk.
> What's wrong with it? It currently gives a very distorted sound as
> though the gain is set to high. Lowering the gain on endpoints helps
> but this is not a fix just a poor workaround. We require g726-32 to be
> of the same quality as the Asterisk g711 implementation.
>
> As the developer who fixes this issue you will receive $1000USD from
> us. You are free to make the code available to the Asterisk community
> under any license you wish, commit it into CVS, keep it to yourself,
> sell it to someone else, whatever you like, just make it available to
> us for our unlimited use.
>
> Please contact me off list if you are interested and capable of this
> project.

The last time I tried the codec in Asterisk it was functional. If it is
giving very bad sound perhaps something has been broken very recently.
However, when it was working it was far from compliant with the G.726
spec. The G.726 codec in spandsp is fully compliant, and passes all the
tests in G.726. It also supports all the bit rate options, which the
Asterisk one doesn't - Asterisk misses out the 16kbps mode, though that
isn't particularly useful. Hooking into the spandsp library is trivial,
so I would suggest that as a way to achieve a better G.726 result.

Steve