[asterisk-dev] make install in zaptel copies modules to wrong location with Ubuntu 5.10

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Fri May 19 14:52:35 MST 2006

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 10:18:39AM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did an install last week on Ubuntu 5.10 recently and when running make
>> install, instead of installing under /lib/modules/`uname -r` (which was
>> 2.6.12-9-686) it went in /lib/modules/2.6.12.
>>
>> I traced the issue to the call to "make modules_install" from the zaptel
>> Makefile to the packaged Makefile for the kernel in ubuntu.  It didn't
>> have $(EXTRAVERSION) defined properly.
>>
>> Now I'm no Makefile expert and I realize it is a bug in Ubuntu (and
>> possibly other distributions), but think there should be a work-around
>> in the zaptel Makefile.
>>

> Just to make sure how the makefile worked:
>
> please edit the makefile and add (in the end) :
>
> # remember that makefile is indented by tabs, and not spaces
> check:
> 	@echo "KVERS=$(KVERS), KSRC=$(KSRC).
> 	ls -ld $(KSRC)
> 	dpkg -l kernel-\* linux-\* | grep ^.i

I do not have any problems with the KVERS or KSRC variables, I have
traced the problem to the $(KMAKE) call into the kernel Makefile.
> What do you get from 'make check' ?
$(KVERS) and $(KSRC) point to the correct locations, it is the missing
definition of $(EXTRAVERSION) in the Makefile called by $(KMAKE) that is
the problem.  That's why the modules were copied to
/lib/modules/2.6.12/misc instead of /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-686/misc.

I can modify the Makefile if you like and send the output, but it should
only confirm what I have said above.  I'll reply with line numbers and
svn revision numbers later today.

Mike