[asterisk-dev] Meetme/Timing Basics

Prakash Rao Kanthi kanthip at hotmail.com
Fri May 19 13:06:02 MST 2006

Hi There,

I have been working with asterisk code base for a while now. I am well
versed with asterisk applications, formats and linux low level internals. So
feel free to put your answer in the terminology you can.

I have a basic question regarding the MeetMe application internals. HOW DOES
THE TIMING WORK in MEETME? I know its using either ztdummy/rtc or digium
cards. But i need the details. For example, if there are 3 people in a
meetme conference, how asterisk/meetme/ztdummy are able to transmit 2 RTP
streams from 2 of the three participants to the third participant as a
single 64 kbps channel.

I see that meetme application is setting up pseudo device /dev/zap/pseudo
with a conference number for the first participant and then on open the
deivce for read/write for later participants. But it is not clear how the
RTP is mixed by this pseudo device.

Which part of the code is doing Transcoding?
Any buffering going on? If yes, where in the code?
Which part of the code is doing RTP Mixing? (IN above example 2 RTP streams
into 1)

You early response is appreciated.

Thanks,
Prakash