[asterisk-dev] Most Requested Feature (was Paging on the Linksys)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu May 18 08:41:31 MST 2006

George Pajari wrote:

> While not disagreeing with Mr. Fleming's opinion, I would like to know
> where reliable SIP jitter buffering is on the radar. Obviously rarely an
> issue for those deploying SIP devices within a LAN but those of us
> offering hosted Asterisk PBX services really notice the lack of SIP
> jitter buffering (as would anyone trying to support remote users on
> their Asterisk boxes).

I did not state an opinion, nor did I state what were the most useful
things to get added to Asterisk. The poster mentioned 'the most
requested feature' and I responded to that.

Yes, an RTP jitter buffer would be a welcome thing (there is no jitter
buffer for SIP, it's signaling!). However, until the code is stable and
we get solid, reliable test reports, it's not going to get merged, no
matter how badly we want it. An unreliable, buggy or unmaintainable
jitter buffer is worse than none at all.