[asterisk-dev] Implementing Paging on the Linksys SPA9XX phones

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Wed May 17 11:19:51 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 10:48 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Adding support for this to Asterisk will be non-trivial, to say the least.

Perhaps, and I'm certainly not in the best position to judge this but
here is my thinking;

>From what I can see in the packet capture, only a single UDP packet sent
to a multicast address is required to signal the phones that a page is
coming. Then RTP packets are sent to a multicast address for the actual
audio of the page.

RTP is already a part of Asterisk so at least it should be possible to
take this code and implement it in a new paging app which could also do
the UDP.

In any case, even if this is non-trivial I believe the effort would be
well worth it to finally have a "real" paging system in Asterisk. I have
a feeling some other SIP phone makers would also incorporate this method
into their firmware if it was supported.

--
John Lange