[asterisk-dev] Implementing Paging on the Linksys SPA9XX phones

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Wed May 17 08:12:45 MST 2006

To date all paging systems have involved pulling a whole group of phones
set to auto-answer into a meetme conference room using traditional SIP.
A bit of a hack to say the least.

The Linksys SPA9XX phones (941, 942 etc) have the ability to page a
large number of phones using an RTP multicast system. As far as I'm
aware this is the first "real" paging system available on a SIP phone.

Currently this paging system only works when the phones are combined
with the Linksys SPA9000 key system and not with Asterisk.

I believe it would not be a great deal of work to implement this system
in Asterisk.

Attached to this message is a small packet capture (captured using
Ethereal) from a page session. The SPA9000 is at 192.168.2.1, the SPA941
is at 192.168.2.100.

A brief description; A group page is initiated on a SPA941 by dialing
*96 and then selecting "pagegroup" from the corporate directory. The
first few packets are the phone requesting the corporate directory.

The actual page starts at packet 8 with a UDP signaling broadcast on
port 6061 which I assumes tells all the phones to get ready for the
coming RTP broadcast which follows.

----

I'm looking for advice on a way to add this feature to Asterisk as well
as other interested parties which might be willing to help.

I have created this request in the bug-tracker which is probably a
better way to comment rather than this list.

Link here: http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=7172

--
John Lange