[asterisk-dev] New chan_iax media-only transfers: questions

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed May 10 09:17:49 MST 2006

John Todd wrote:

>   - is it possible for the central system to monitor or collect
> statistics on call quality during the call even though it is not in the
> media path?

Possibly... I don't think we talked about that before Mark implemented
it. However, the only frames that are redirected are mini-frames, so all
the other signaling still passes through the central system.

>   - I assume it is possible for the central server to request a
> hangup/transfer/hold of both sides via the Manager API... right?

Yes, the channels still exist there.

>   - do the caller and destination system know about each other as
> anything other than an IP address for media exchange?  (in other words,
> do they ever exchange IAX2 signalling directly, or is the exchange of
> messaging just a sub-set for media flow?)

The former; they are not aware of each other for signaling at all.

>   - does the destination" system know about the pre-existing call length
> (if any) that occurred before that call was received by them?

No.

Also note that because IAX2 always sends DTMF as signaling, the DTMF
events will still pass through the central server, even when the media
has been redirected.