[asterisk-dev] disclaimer hell

Jorrit Kronjee j.kronjee at infopact.nl
Thu May 4 04:30:24 MST 2006

On 5/4/2006 12:17 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Jorrit Kronjee wrote:
>
>> A few days ago, I filed a small patch that fixes issue #0006934.
>> However, I didn't know I need to sign a disclaimer before filing patches.
>
> It is posted in the bug posting guidelines, and also there is a field
> that directly asks you if you have a disclaimer on file while you are
> posting your bug. Could we have done something else to make this more
> apparent?

This field can only be set if you're the person filing the bug, not the
patch. However, this is just nitpicking, I should've read the guidelines
more closely.

> They are different documents, but serving a similar purpose. The 'short
> form' disclaims all your copyright interest in the patches that you
> submit for inclusion, which basically places them into the public domain
> and allows anyone to use them in any fashion they wish. The 'long form'
> allows you retain your copyright interest and distribution privileges,
> but also grants Digium (under the name Linux Support Services, our
> previous company name) a non-exclusive license to also distribute your
> code (that you submitted) under any license terms we wish.

It's clear to me now. Perhaps this short explanation could be used on
the guidelines page too (just to avoid questions from people like me)?

Jorrit Kronjee

--
System Developer

Infopact Network Solutions