[asterisk-dev] Proposed changes to implementation of MeetMe conferences

Trevor Raynsford Trevor.Raynsford at ACULAB.COM
Wed May 3 10:18:01 MST 2006

As part of Aculab's work on a channel driver for Asterisk we have been
looking at how best to make use of the DSP hardware resources on our Prosody
hardware.

One feature we already have good API support for is conferencing. Currently
MeetMe is implemented by making direct ioctl calls to the Zap channel
driver. For native Zap calls, this works perfectly well, but for any other
channel technology pseudo Zap channels are created and aggregated by the Zap
driver. To make use of Aculab (and potentially other channel technology)
hardware it would be necessary to hide the ioctl calls behind a conference
API.

I still need to flesh out detailed scenarios for different combinations of
channels, but it seems, on the face of it, to be a clean abstraction.
Something along these lines:

Probable API calls and parameters:
	*	create conference channel with announce and/or monitor
capability
	*	add channel to conference channel with talk and/or listen
capability
	*	remove channel from the conference channel
	*	destroy a conference channel, removing any remaining member
channels
	*	change a participant talk capability

Essentially, the aim would be to allow multiple conference participants on
the same technology to be aggregated into a "super-conference" by that
technology, if supported, and thereby offload some of the processing
required to the technology hardware.

Comments and suggestions will be much appreciated :)

Trevor Raynsford
Software Engineer
Aculab
Tel: +44 (0)1908-273800