[asterisk-dev] Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006925 ..... ( Alex ) Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006920 ( Alex Smirnov )

Steven critch at basesys.com
Wed May 3 06:58:59 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 17:27 +0400, Denis Smirnov wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 01:34:49PM +0400, Alex Smirnov ( DigitalXXI ) wrote:
>
> ASD> 1) Absolutely agree, it's not a asterisk task to code audio files in
> ASD> different codecs,
>
> At now Astersisk _do_ this.

And so does soo many other software apps.

> ASD> easy to convert format is more practical , than
> ASD> amount of different codded files.
>
> Only if you have supercomputer with one client :)

Hmm, maybe you need to get a modern computer. I don't expect there is
anyone here that will agree that a VoIP phone qualifies as a
supercomputer.

> I doesn't know any codec that can be "easy" converted to G.729, G.723,
> speex, iLBC and GSM. Do you know that you need to avoid all codec
> conversion in high-volume installations, if you can? And if you can have
> voice prompt in all supported formats, this save your money?

Good codec convertion avoidance is to pass the conversion off to the
endpoints.

> ASD> 2) What is REAL need to support such codding in * , when u can use
> ASD> any software to convert it to whatever u like ?
> ASD> ( something like split & rule :) )
>
> I not understand your idea.

He was agreeing with me that there are other CLI apps to handle the job.

> ASD> 3) and just curios - any ex. for lib usability , except commercial
> ASD> software ?
>
> With commercial software no lib usability, because this lib would be
> GPL'ed for all but Digium clients, that buy license.

he also wants another example of what you propose would be a use of the
library. So far no one has agreed that using the asterisk codecs and
formats are a good choice, and not enough of a reason to go through the
effort of a library. So we want more examples that might sway us.
--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>