[asterisk-dev] 80ms RTP packets and G.729

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Wed May 3 04:04:11 MST 2006

We have a customer who wants to run SIP with G.729 and 80ms RTP packets.
They want to do this as they've been told by a 3rd party that this will
allow them to keep bandwidth within 16Kbps per call, which is all they
have available.

I see that there's a "packetization" option in Asterisk subversion.
Alas, we can't use it as the G.729 codec doesn't run on this version:

  [codec_g729a.so]May  3 11:56:17 WARNING[31336]: loader.c:731
__load_resource: misstng mod_data for codec_g729a.so

Would any of the Digium developers have an expected date for a G.729
codec for an Asterisk version with the packetization code? Will it be
before the next stable version?

How much effort would it be to port the packetization code to Asterisk
1.2? If we did so, would the G.729 codec work with it?

(BTW: There's a trivial typo "misstng" in the above error message in SVN
trunk revision 24378)

--
Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,