[asterisk-dev] Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006925, 04-28-06 17:49 Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006920

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue May 2 11:17:14 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 21:19 +0400, Denis Smirnov wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 11:43:24AM -0500, Steven wrote:
> >> After moving some code to library it would be easy to write some code that
> >> use asterisk modules. Like format convertors.
> S> With the exception of some codecs that are patent encumbered, you should
> S> be using SOX for your format conversions. Don't reinvent the wheel just
> S> to make a stretched point.
>
> wav file created by asterisk not wav file created by sox (look to GAIN in
> format_wav.c).

Doesn't matter who creates the wav file, it is a standard file format.
As for GAIN, go look at the man page for sox, it supports gain via the
vol function.

> sox doesn't support G.729, G.723.1. sox doesn't support G.722.

I know G.729 is patent encumbered, and G.723.1 I think is, So we
shouldn't be too concerned about them. And as for G.722, why not get
that built ito sox? I'm sure the sox group will love the additional
codecs.

> It would be easer to use codecs/formats in asterisk, for creating/reading
> files created by asterisk.

Formats, no. Codecs maybe. There is nothing special about the formats in
asterisk. If there was something special, then they would be useless
outside of asterisk.

> And G.729/G.723.1 support is needed.

Fine, you are still probably better off starting with sox with all the
filtering built in and more codecs and all.