[asterisk-dev] Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006925, 04-28-06 17:49 Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006920

Steven critch at basesys.com
Tue May 2 09:54:41 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 11:10 -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Denis Smirnov wrote:
>
> > If asterisk builded with MALLOC_DEBUG, DEBUG_THREADS etc we also break
> > compatibility with third party modules. Moving code to library doesn't
> > change anything for this.
>
> Yes it does; it makes it worse. People will expect the installed library
> to be 'generic' enough so that they can build/link against it an expect
> it to work. Installed libraries are _not_ normally built with the API
> begin different based on configuration options, unlike installed binaries.

While I am not on the library bandwagon, I have to say configuration
options does not make it worse for most users. Those who are installing
as a package from their distro are not likely to have any debug options
turned on by default. If they are turned on, it is in a specifically
named package. With package managers that support dependency checking,
any of the 3rd party modules being built and packaged can depend on the
properly configured options.

For those who are not using pre packaged versions of asterisk. We know
what we are doing and don't need that kind of hand holding. Not to
mention, standardized conventions can be used like the way we build the
zaptel drivers against the V2.6 kernels.

So far the only problems I can see with it is the same as we currently
have, if someone breaks the GPL in such a way as to have distributed a
binary only module/tool, they may or may not work based on the API
changes or configuration options.

Again, I haven't said I am for the library conversion.
--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>