[asterisk-dev] Corydon76

Koopmann, Jan-Peter Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de
Tue May 2 03:32:07 MST 2006

On Sunday, April 30, 2006 11:29 PM Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> I don't doubt that there are dozens of people for whom I have closed
> bugs after the patches have been rejected.  However, I don't think
> that this qualifies as a conflict, merely as a difference of opinion.

True. Nevertheless one could get the notion of you being particularly active
in the negative sense. I myself had a simple feature/patch rejected by you.
Later other people wanted to have it as well and another bug marshal had to
"reopen" it which finally convinced you that the option might not hurt
afterall.

Please do not get me wrong: I love Asterisk! I use it and I try to earn
money with it. Still more and more people seem to stop developing for
Asterisk and start maintaining their own patches/branches. I personally use
bristuffed e.g. since libpri/zaptel there works a lot better in Germany. I
would prefer using the original release or have the opportunity to go to
trunk and test  development branches but due to the poor ISDN BRI support I
cannot. Does this mean I cannot contribute?

> I, myself, have had dozens of patches that have been rejected (mostly
> by Mark), but I would not consider myself to be in conflict with any
> of those maintainers.

It is perfectly valid to close bugs or reject patches. But please do it in a
way that does not demoralize people. Asking a question/reporting a bug "you"
(not meaning only you personally) find stupid, results in bad karma. Even if
later on it turns out that the question was not so dumb afterall bad karma
stays. This behaviour/system has a touch of arrogance. Simply closing issues
with comments like "and I re-close it" does not help either.

And let me be honest: In my case I was having conversations with other bug
marshalls over IRC. When I asked why you closed it so rapidly while others
think of it as a good idea, I received comments like

"That's the way he is."
"He is a bit fast/eager to close bug reports."
"Contact me, if you have problems like this again."

Does this not make you think? Why is this criticism not going to "all bug
marshalls" but one in particular? Instead of defending yourself it could
very much help to think about this and maybe establish a better way of
communication. This is all I am asking for.

Again: I really appreciate your effort in the project. It is something I
personally could not do due to lack of knowledge and lack of time. I have
big respect for all developers that obviously spend more time on this than I
ever did. Therefore please do not take this post as a personal attack
because it is not meant to be. I simply understand the way Casper and Denis
feel. And I see that many very good coders stopped working for the official
Asterisk community partly due to communication problems with "the bug
marshalls" and therefore being fed up.

Asterisk is such a great project. Let's not jeopardize this because of
unfortunate communication/actions.

Kind regards,
  JP