[asterisk-dev] Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006925, 04-28-06 17:49 Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006920

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue May 2 03:04:34 MST 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 04:45:58PM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > Right now, we have duplicate build rules in the makefiles to link
> > in the required objects which are not in a library (and, at the
> > moment, some of these rules fail and/or require fiddling with
> > CPPFLAGS to include the right paths  -- e.g. in the case of ast_expr2),
> > and/or duplicated code in the source files (e.g. astman.c and
> > ael_parse.c) again to overcome problems with these object files.
>
> And this raises another point: the 'library' contains code that may or
> may not have been built with MALLOC_DEBUG, DEBUG_THREADS, etc. That is
> going to be a difficult problem to solve; it's already bad enough when
> out-of-tree modules are built without knowing the actual configuration
> that was used to build Asterisk.
>
> So far I see two examples of _applications_ that live in the Asterisk
> source tree that might benefit from being able to use a very small part
> of Asterisk as a library, but I don't see the benefit of having to move
> the entire API into a library at all. Most of the code that would live
> in that library is totally useless without a running Asterisk instance
> to supply data to it, and in fact we are currently making changes to the
> module API that will make it _harder_ to use format/codec modules
> outside of Asterisk itself (not intentionally, but still occurring).

I'll just note that at the moment the asterisk binary along with its
headers and the various res_* modules is the "asterisk library". Other
modules load code from there at run-time. Out-of-tree modules exist.
Out-of-tree distributions certainly exist (most notably
asterisk-addons).

Debian currently maintains a package called asterisk-dev which is
supposed to allow such out-of-tree building. It actually contains only
/usr/include/asterisk .

So the problem of an API for out-of-tree building exists just as well
regardless of a separate "asterisk library".

Tzafrir Cohen      sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755       iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com