[asterisk-dev] Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006925, 04-28-06 17:49 Corydon76 Issue Deleted: 0006920

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue May 2 02:40:48 MST 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:20:33AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> I'm thinking we could gain the benefits of this without creating a
> mess by creating a common static library in the build process and

well, yes, just that one needs to be careful with static libraries
because if a module in the library is not used at link time,
then it is not linked in.

We had exactly this problem recently with libtime where the only
client was say.c, and if you build asterisk without say.c
(which can be done now, to replace it with the new implementation)
the module is not available later.

Of course if modules/apps are dynamically linked with the API library,
then the problem automatically goes away.

> The other way to go about this is to directly link in a particular
> object file during the final build stage.  This avoids the extra step

and unfortunately this only works when objects do not rely on other
objects. e.g. we cannot do this with utils.c because it brings
in other stuff.

	cheers
	luigi