[asterisk-dev] SSL encryption for Asterisk Manager Interface

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Mar 28 23:19:53 MST 2006

>Johansson Olle E wrote:

>>>Do we?  While I believe that client certs are a Good Thing, isn't
>>>the Challenge: method sufficient to prove connection identity?  I
>>>like client certs; don't get me wrong.  However, they have proven
>>>to be complex and almost never used in my experiences with
>>>designers.  The Challenge: method that the AMI uses seems to be
>>>fairly robust in exchanging a shared secret, which would be
>>>required for connection anyway.  Doubling up on the security does
>>>not seem to have a compelling amount of usefulness (note my
>>>wording doesn't say _no_ usefulness; I just can't think of why I'd
>>>need both.)  Perhaps we just need some options that disallow
>>>cleartext passwords under some define-able set of circumstances.
>>>(unauth-passwords-ssl=yes, unauth-passwords-nossl=no)
>>
>>Using client certificates never really took off in the web world,
>>but in application to application communication I keep
>>hearing about it all the time. in the case of Astmanproxy, it would
>>be a good thing. I believe other developers
>>may be interested as well.
>
>Isn't there some room for starting with the Challenge approach and
>enhancing it later to support certificates, maybe even optional?
>
>Rich

Yes, this was my point, though I suppose I didn't word it clearly
enough.  I'd hope that the existing SSL patch doesn't get held up
waiting for Godot (or waiting for client certs, as the case may be.)
I would suggest that the Challenge: method is "good enough" for the
moment, but nothing precludes client certs from being used in the
future.  I just don't think this patch should be delayed on inclusion
to TRUNK because it is waiting for that theoretical code to appear...

Perhaps that wasn't even the base for Olle's comments, so I may be
mis-reading things.

  (though it still needs to be tested, and that will delay it unless
some other people step up and patch their systems. There's even a
client app included for testing without writing your own client
tools!)

JT