[asterisk-dev] Architectural Freeze for 1.4

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Mar 28 11:03:05 MST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>
> > Features that do not require changes to the header files are not
> > architectural in nature; those features have until the beginning of May
> > to be gotten ready.
>
> That is not quite true; for example, it would be possible to completely
> re-architect the way that app_meetme works, without touching any header
> files. That would still qualify as 'architectural' in nature.

I would like to request that Kevin's Variable Length DTMF SVN tree be
considered as an architechtural change for 1.4.

His work to date can be viewed here:

http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/team/kpfleming/vldtmf/

He can speak more adequately to what has been done and what is yet to be
done. I believe there were some backward compatibility issues to figure
out and some more intense testing on the new calls in the channel driver
for the start, update and end events. Last I knew he had it working w/ Zap
channels for limited testing.

I know time has been at a premium, but VLDTMF is sorely needed to help
interoperability w/ various SIP vendors. There are several open issues on
the Bug Tracker that have taken what we can do w/ the current DTMF
implementation to the limits. There are only so many tweaks we can apply
to the current RTP stack w/ the way that RFC-2833 is implemented. While it
is not in violation of the RFC, it certainly isn't the most compatible it
could be.

If you would like to see the lenghty, in-depth discussion of these issues,
please see the bug-tracker for the following bugs:

http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6667
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5970
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6027

If this is too radical of an additional to the 1.4 code base, then I'd
like to request that this be added after 1.4 is release for eventual
inclusion in 1.6.

I'm willing to puy my money where my mouth is and put up $500 towards
getting Kevin to put his finishing touches on the code. I'm sure some
others would be willing to help fund this feature as well.

                             KP-216-121-ST