[asterisk-dev] Dropping incompatible frame....

Joe jrothstein at comcentrixs.com
Thu Mar 23 12:50:41 MST 2006

I've had this problem on 1.2.1, 1.2.4, 1.2.5.

The customer initially had only SNOM phones on site using g729. We had some
serious issues with voice quality on these phones, so decided to swap the
user to Cisco phones. We installed the Cisco phones, and then users started
getting multiple calls coming into the same call. For example some one is on
the phone, and another call comes in, but instead of giving a call-waiting
beep or anything else, the call just broke into the one in progress. We
believed that this was a FW issue and RTP port allocation. So we decided we
would put a little asterisk onsite, and run IAX up to our External GW. In
everyone one of these scenarios we have had the "incompatible voice frame
dropping" problem. The local switch is a Netgear FS116P, and the their DSL
router is also a Netgear.

All phones are set to alaw only, and the IAX trunk is set to g729 only.

In the previous post the problem was limited to dialing out. The problem
also happens with internal calls:

Mar 23 16:15:39 NOTICE[28619] channel.c: Dropping incompatible voice frame
on Local/944 at sanset-32cf,2 of format slin since our native format has
changed to g729
Mar 23 16:15:39 NOTICE[28619] channel.c: Dropping incompatible voice frame
on Local/944 at sanset-32cf,2 of format slin since our native format has
changed to g729
Mar 23 16:15:39 NOTICE[28619] channel.c: Dropping incompatible voice frame
on Local/944 at sanset-32cf,2 of format slin since our native format has
changed to g729
Mar 23 16:15:39 NOTICE[28619] channel.c: Dropping incompatible voice frame
on Local/944 at sanset-32cf,2 of format slin since our native format has
changed to g729
Mar 23 16:15:39 NOTICE[28619] channel.c: Dropping incompatible voice frame
on Local/944 at sanset-32cf,2 of format slin since our native format has
changed to g729

We are on the verge of scrapping the Netgears all together as we have never
had this problem in any of our other asterisk installations. Although I
really don't see this as a network issue.

Regards to all,
Joe