[asterisk-dev] DSP pci board.

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Mar 22 15:42:08 MST 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 05:06:50PM -0500, BJ Weschke wrote:
> On 3/22/06, Wai Wu <wwu at calltrol.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has been poking through the * source code a bit and trying to identify the
> > most CPU demanding piece of code. Is trans-coding the most CPU demanding? I
> > happen to have access to a DSP pci board. If I can move the encoder/decoder
> > off the host processor onto the DSP board, will I get a decent performance
> > boost for an * PSTN gateway for VoIP phones (assuming all VoIP phones are
> > using say g732, g729 or gsm)?
>

>  You will get a performance increase, but then you'd also have to
> write Asterisk drivers for it.

That depends on the codec. The gsm codec and the speex codec can use
libgsm and libspeex (respectively) dynamically-linked. So you basically
need to implement the relevant codec library more efficiently on the
DSP.

Right?

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com