[asterisk-dev] rtp scalability improvement...

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Mon Mar 20 03:11:08 MST 2006

> Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> [skipped]
>
>> These IRQ storms are only happening on crappy network hardware. My
>> testing was one with intel gigabit NICs with large buffers,
>> effectively producing < 100 interrupts per second. kernel profiling
>> showed time was indeed spent in system calls
>
> The one solution I see is to move RTP _switching_ into the kernel
> level (like
> zaptel conferencing doing), and optimize Asterisk core to do better
> codec
> selection logic (i.e. to always minimize/eliminate transcoding when
> it is
> possible).

mmapping the packets into kernelspace is cleaner, though. you don't
want the kernel to do rtp stuff, only deliver the data. at least _I_
don't want a panic on a bad packet :P

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
roy at karlsbakk.net
---
In space, loud sounds, like explosions, are even louder because there
is no air to get in the way.