[asterisk-dev] rtp scalability improvement...

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Sun Mar 19 16:30:50 MST 2006

> To me, 400 calls on a single Xeon seems like a pretty good balance
> between
> scalability and performance...  this is all commodity hardware,
> remember.  I
> wonder, Roy, what the bandwidth and packet levels were like.  (i.e.
> what did
> the network look like?)

we're talking 400 calls with alaw, meaning 80kbps full duplex * 2 *
400 == 64Mbps. not a lot. but 50 packets per second per direction is
40k packets per second and quite a lot of syscalls. so if we could
mmap them all and do the udp parsing in a small state machine, we
could possibly gain a whole lot

roy