[asterisk-dev] rtp scalability improvement...

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Sun Mar 19 14:01:37 MST 2006

hi

looking at asterisk scalability during testing, we see asterisk uses
100% cpu time on a single xeon 2.8 with ~400 calls. monitoring what
really spends this time, shows system/kernel time is the beast (!).
After some discussion on #kernelnewbies on irc.oftc.net, one whos
nick is 'ahu' told me this was 'because of heavy switching', too many
system calls etc. he mentioned using mmapped libpcap as a dirty hack
that would allow packets to move into userspace without any system
call at all.

has anyone thought of this? might it be a good idea, or is it madness?

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
roy at karlsbakk.net
---
In space, loud sounds, like explosions, are even louder because there
is no air to get in the way.