[asterisk-dev] Dialstate without Ringing

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Mon Mar 13 17:40:33 MST 2006

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 09:21:42PM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Edwin Groothuis wrote:
>
> > Looking at what happens when an PRI_EVENT_RINGING happens (AFAICT
> > the internal equivalent of ALERTING), it sets the .needringing of
> > a channel. Maybe that can (could, shall, should etc) be already
> > done when a PRE_EVENT_PROCEEDING (AFAICT the internal equivalent
> > of CALL PROCEEDING) comes in.
>
> Nope; CALL PROCEEDING only means the switching network is processing the
> call, it does not mean that the final endpoint is being told the call is
> incoming.
>
> If the final end party does not send ALERTING, and the network does not
> send SESSION PROGRESS with inband audio available, then there is no way
> for Asterisk to know that the call is ringing the endpoint.

True. That's from the PBX point of view. But from the users point
of view, this is unacceptable. I'm not saying that asterisk is wrong
here, because the Alcatel 4400 which is behind our asterisk server
also doesn't provide the ringing sound (because it's not receiving
the ALERTING :-)

At this moment, for a certain range of numbers, I've added the
option "r" so that it gets a ring.. Oh man, my poor dialplan is
getting more and more abused.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org