[asterisk-dev] Dialstate without Ringing

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Sun Mar 12 19:23:29 MST 2006

Hi guys,

This morning I was alerted that calling some numbers gave us no
ringing tone, it just was silent until it was answered.

A quick check showed that we didn't receive an ALERTING packet,
which normally modifies the Asterisk internal Dial state from Ring
to Ringing.

    -- Executing Dial("Zap/28-1", "Zap/G3/93782264||") in new stack
    > Message type: SETUP (5)
    -- Called G3/93782264
    < Message type: STATUS (125)
    < Message type: SETUP ACKNOWLEDGE (13)
    < Message type: CALL PROCEEDING (2)
    Zap/93-1             s at SJH-AAPT1:1        Dialing AppDial((Outgoing Line))
    Zap/28-1             s at macro-call-ext-XXX Ring    Dial(Zap/G3/93782264||)
    < Message type: CONNECT (7)
    > Message type: CONNECT ACKNOWLEDGE (15)
    -- Moving call from channel 93 to channel 88
    -- Zap/3:88-1 answered Zap/28-1
    -- Attempting native bridge of Zap/28-1 and Zap/3:88-1
    -- Channel 0/28, span 1 got hangup request
    > Message type: DISCONNECT (69)
    < Message type: RELEASE (77)

I've looked through the Q.931 specification which (Figure A.2, sheet
3) show that this is completly valid behaviour.

Looking at what happens when an PRI_EVENT_RINGING happens (AFAICT
the internal equivalent of ALERTING), it sets the .needringing of
a channel. Maybe that can (could, shall, should etc) be already
done when a PRE_EVENT_PROCEEDING (AFAICT the internal equivalent
of CALL PROCEEDING) comes in.

Anybody with ideas about this?

Edwin
--